4 Reasons Why Your Energy Bill Might Be Really High in Your Surf City, NC, Home
From food costs to smartphone fees, managing your household budget is hard enough without having to deal with sky-high energy expenses. It’s even worse when you can’t pin down the reason why your rates keep rising. Help is at hand! At Gideon Heating & Air Conditioning, our service technicians are experts when it comes to home energy consumption. Here are four common causes of high utility bills and some tips on how to cut them down to size.
1. Inefficient HVAC Performance
In South Atlantic states like North Carolina, heating and cooling accounts for around 45 percent of residential utility expenses. The most effective way to reduce HVAC costs in Surf City is to minimize the amount of power the systems consume. Regular preventive maintenance from Gideon Heating & Air Conditioning helps ensure that HVAC systems operate as efficiently as possible. Our professional tune-ups include all the cleanings, checks and calibrations it takes to keep everything smoothly.
2. Poorly Performing Ducts
Most homes in Surf City and the neighboring communities are equipped with central air conditioning systems. In the typical home, however, up to 30 percent of the air that passes through ductwork is lost to leaks. Sometimes, the air loss is due to improper duct installation. More often, it’s caused by leaks, holes and gaps that develop over time. Whatever the reason, the pros at Gideon Heating & Air Conditioning can resolve the problem. From configurations to duct sealing and insulation, we offer a complete array of ductwork services.
3. Outdated Thermostat
While considered modern feats of engineering back in the day, manual thermostats have always had their drawbacks. To save money on heating and cooling, you have to remember to lower or raise the setting before leaving home. Programmable thermostats do that job for you, adjusting temperatures according to your personal schedule. Today’s smart thermostats by Trane take the technology another leap forward:
- Accessible from your computer, smartphone or tablet, Wi-Fi connected models put you in control of your comfort.
- View five-day weather forecasts and live weather reports on a clear and easy-to-use digital display.
- Receive automatic reminders when it’s time to change the air filter or to schedule system maintenance.
Thermostats that connect to the Nexia home automation system are available from Gideon Heating & Air Conditioning as well. In addition to controlling HVAC settings remotely, you can turn lights off/on, lock/unlock doors and check your security cameras.
4. Summer Heat Gain
In the summer season, most of the heat that builds up in your home comes from direct sunlight. By limiting exposure to solar radiation, your cooling system won’t have to run as often to keep you comfortably cool. Many of the strategies used to decrease heat gain can reduce heat loss in the winter too:
- Careful landscaping can lower your cooling bills up to 50 percent. Start by planting shade trees on the sun-facing sides of your home. To let sunlight in during the winter, choose a deciduous variety of tree that sheds its leaves in the fall.
- The clear glass in windows lets solar heat pour into your home in the summer and radiate outward in winter. Covering the glass with a low emissivity (low-E) coating helps. This ultra-thin metallic film works like a two-way mirror, controlling heat gain without blocking the view.
- The right window treatment can help lower heat gain too. Blinds and shades with white backings are among the most effective. When reflective window blinds are completely closed, for example, they can reduce heat gain by 45 percent.
Your Energy-Saving Partner
When your utility bills skyrocket, you need an HVAC company that knows how to bring them back down to earth. As a Trane Comfort Specialist (TCS), Gideon Heating & Air Conditioning is equipped to deliver optimal results. Our TCS designation means our service technicians have been specially trained in state-of-the-art HVAC solutions. To learn more ways to save money in Surf City, check out our HVAC services or call (910) 447-2905.
You May Also Like
6 Common Geothermal System Myths in Wallace, NC
A geothermal system may be your best HVAC option for you if you want a more ecologically friendly and efficient method to… Continue Reading 6 Common Geothermal System Myths in Wallace, NC…
Should You Repair or Replace Your Heat Pump?
It’s challenging to decide whether to repair or replace your heat pump. How do you tell which choice is best for you… Continue Reading Should You Repair or Replace Your Heat Pump?…
Signs You Need Duct Sealing Services
Your HVAC system’s ducts sit behind walls. Since they’re out of sight, you likely never think about them. But keeping your HVAC… Continue Reading Signs You Need Duct Sealing Services…